Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Thoughts on Alexander McQueen



The news of Alexander McQueen's passing is incredibly sad. His talent, creativity, and inventiveness were genuine, and his insanely evocative runway shows stood out every season. Where some designers send "sameness" down the catwalk, McQueen constantly embraced new inspirations and created collections which ranged from glamorous to gothic (with a million stops in between).

When I saw McQueen's feathered dress (below) in a 2001 issue of "Vogue," I instantly wanted to know more about this man who has supposedly written "I'm a wanker" or similar in Prince Charles' Saville Row suit. Someone who could be both punkish and elegant intrigued me.


Wikipedia or any similar site can give a season-by-season look at the man's work, but I thought perhaps a visual tour would be a better tribute...













A few years ago, one of my former students lost his life in an automobile accident. Daniel was one of my "troublemakers," to put it fairly, and some days he made me want to leave teaching and become a barista at Starbucks (no lie). Yet I loved him dearly, and wanted to help him grow into adulthood. I wish I'd had the chance to do so.

When McQueen passed on yesterday, it made me think of Daniel. Both men had a penchant for stirring things up, and both men were unapologetic for who they were. In their collective passings, we must not forget the joyful moments, but we must also keep the harsh ones close by to truly remember who they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment